Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stalking blogs pays off - in many, many ways :))


So I am sitting at my computer, taking a break from editing, browsing through the new posts on the blogs I follow through Google Reader (quite a handy tool, btw). There are quite a few photographers out there that I look up to and whose work inspires me, so I follow their work and visit their blogs every so often, when new posts are up.
You don't even have to be a photographer to like good photography. It is like candy for the eye. We all like good photography...

I left a couple of comments on some, and went on with my work.
Sometimes some of the photographers e-mail back to say thank you for taking the time to leave comments. And tonight I got just one of those e-mails from Amy. Their work (her and her husband are a team) is truly fantastic. You can see for yourself, if you haven't came across them before. Filled with emotions, very earthy, modern and vintage at the same time, out of the box - it is seriously hard for me to put in words all the feelings that their art evokes for me. It feels like words would just water it down.

I thought that it was really sweet that she took the time to e-mail back, and that it was pretty cool that my comment meant something to her. And I continued my work.

My mail program went 'ding', 'ding', 'ding' again. After a little while I switched over to check the new messages. "Red Leaf Photographer Boutique" - two of them, "Red Leaf Studios" the third one. I went from thinking that this was a newsletter from the studio, to thinking that there was a glitch in the system because I got too many, to being really confused because I knew I did not order any actions or textures. I was probably even more in disbelief, because I really wanted them. Eventually I grasped that it was just their way of saying 'thank you'. This is such an awesome and kind gesture. I am really, really excited about them, but even beyond that I was moved to tears by their kindness. It was just a simple comment...

This made me realize once again that every word I say matters, even when I think they don't. Words are powerful - they can build and they can bring down the spirit. I felt really content that my words meant something to them, ...and know that your gesture meant so much to me (way beyond the financial side). It is the coolest thing when people take the time to go out of their way and do such nice things.

Thank you so much again, Richard and Amy.
You made my day! ;) I am looking forward to use the Retro Actions and the two sets of textures, especially! I received as a gift the Vintage set around Christmas and your BW Vintage Brown is my favorite b&w.

p.s. I strongly believe that it doesn't matter the field you work in or are passionate about, you should 'hang out' with the best in your industry. Read their books, watch them, learn from them, be inspired by them (don't copy if you want to be great at what you do and stand out. Innovate. Be yourself. - but that is beside the point). Always soak in the knowledge and always be ready to look at things with an open minded attitude.
You want to become a trusted, quality ...electrician? Find one that you heard and came to know that does an flawless job, has a great work ethic and inspires you, and learn from him/her.

Bottom line? If you are a photographer (or not) - stalk blogs! ;) It really is the thing to do and it pays off. You can not ever put a price on learning new things and being inspired. :)



8 comments:

Oh So Posh Photography July 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM  

So.. so soo awesome.. Now we are all waiting impatiently to see your creativity at work with all those textures and actions.. Soo happy for you.

Lidia B

Karen Anderson July 30, 2009 at 4:11 AM  

what a great story .. I love their actions :) I too am a stalker of blogs ..

Gabensysmom July 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

So true!! Love that story, and will have to check them out!

Anonymous August 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Can I ask where you got your layout html? I love the single column!



kristentourtillotte@hotmail.com

elena August 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

thanks everyone. I love their tools. I am super excited :) Those textures are awesome - I know it is even going to impact the way I will be taking photos (more sky and open spaces) :) it is nice to come across extremely talented and successful people that are so kind and not cocky.

kristen, I'm sending you an e-mail.

Your Street Photography August 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

What a wonderful gift! Their actions compliment your work so well.

Afolabi - Fotos by Fola August 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Great story. This is one of the reason we love photography. I love the fact that it brings people together who otherwise would never have crossed paths. Thanks for sharing this!

www.iwantbdphotography.com August 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

just thouht i'd let you know that i'm bookmarking YOU right now to stalk in the future. thanks for inspiration today :) i've never taken the time to comment before so i don't have a profile for you to see i guess. here's my stream just so you know i'm not a CREEPY stalker :) www.flickr.com/photos/iwantbdphotography

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Self-taught on-location natural light portrait photographer and a graphic designer... Thanks for visiting! Take a look and leave a comment (or two) :)

Followers

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP